Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I am provisionally in the trial



At the top, Raymond, taking one of his signature "mirror" photos. often of a whole group. The blue frame of the mirror and its decorations speak "Tunisia." Below is Michèle sporting a hat we got in Montauk when we were there together—with a view of the Tunisian resort and the ocean, as blue as Raymond's mirror.

Dear Friends and Family,

A quick update because I plan to get to bed, if not to sleep, early, so I can get up at 6:30 a.m. We received today the awaited email from Dr. M at Mt Sinai, telling us that I had been accepted to be screened for the trial. That's what we will be spending a good part of tomorrow doing: my signing the consent form before a witness, chest Xray, ultrasound, blood work no doubt, and finally, a bone marrow biopsy (BMB). The last one I had was probably a year ago, though time and events are shaky in my mind. Merwin and I both think that this process will be harder for the other: I feel bad about his hours of waiting; he feels bad about all I have to go through. The test results will determine whether I can go ahead, and that may be as early as next week.

Our best news is that our son Harvey's work on the workings of pre-eclampsia (to oversimplify a bit), published in a scientific journal a little over a week ago was picked up by many news outlets all over the world, and yesterday the NY Time's Science Times published a reporter's view of his work. It's "Turncoat of Placenta is Watched for Trouble,” p. D5.

This afternoon, Harvey spoke at length with Dr. M. who gave Harvey the keen feeling that he wanted to help us, that he cared about us. So Harvey is giving us his green light.

Also this week, on Tuesday, Boita. my new aide, came for the first time. She is about the age of my granddaughters, I guess, because her mother is in her 50s. But she is pleasant, warm and helpful. We went for a walk together in the neighborhood, but she would not mind driving me to the beach, or anywhere else I would like to go. I have given up driving, another narrowing of my life, but I have adjusted to it OK.

Today Merwin and I went out for lunch with Miriam and Eli to celebrate his birthday. I enjoyed our discussion, covering new and old issues that interest us. But after yesterday's workout, I was content mainly for the remainder of the day to read the Donna Leon mystery that Kathryn brought on Monday (thank you, Kathryn!), when the writing group met. It was a lively meeting, with supper at Kiraku and then readings by 6 of us. I didn't read and Joe and Anna were not able to come. I started to freewrite, which has always been for me the source of energy and ideas, but what I produced was so insipid that I gave it up. That's OK.

And I must not forget that on the weekend, Harvey, Sandy, and Rachael came by for a lunch at the new seafood restaurant in Glen Head. I think I have not made good choices so far from the extensive menu, and I am determined to make a better pick next time. Everyone but me seemed pleased with what they had. Afterward we returned to the house for ice cream and apple compote (Sonia's). Sandy and I took a walk around the neighborhood. With my rolator, I should feel fairly confident on my own, but the hills in the neighborhood make me think I need a watchful person with me. Sophie also came, with lots of good food for Merwin and me, and chatted with us all.

We also had a visit from Marty and Joan, from RSNS , who learned about my condition only because they saw the member-to-member request Merwin put out (that's how we found Boita). They brought gorgeous yellow tulips that all these days since then look beautifully fresh and lively. They are in a vase that Sophie gave me.

Shakespeare work? One entry added to our alphabib. Not much to shout about. But I am content with life as it has now shaped itself, though a bit nervous about this trial.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment