Saturday, October 22, 2011


Boita and me, busy in the kitchen on her second day with me< Friday 21 Oct. Looks nice, doesn't she? I think we will work well together. We are standing near our kitchen window, separating flowerlets of cauliflower.

Dear Friends and Family,

Thursday was the big day at Mt. Sinai. We left the house at 8:15, and I arrived in the reception area by 9:45 for our 10:00 appointment. With my wheelie, I was able to get there by myself after Merwin dropped me off at the entrance. Once there, a misunderstanding led us in a chase for guidance. The reception desk should have phoned Dr. M.'s office to get someone to meet me there, but instead they told me to go directly to X-ray. Once there (a long walk, probably about two city blocks if not more, they didn't know what to do with me, until finally Alice and Amy showed up from Dr.M's office with scripts in their hands. Alice went over the protocol for the drug to make sure I understood the procedures; I signed it and after some discussion I was called in for an ultrasound, then a quick turnaround to X-ray, also fast. At this point, I was ready for breakfast, which we got in the cafeteria on the 1st floor. Pizza and coke.

After that, there was a wait for June to arrive at 1 o'clock to draw blood, do another EKG, then draw more blood, and finally draw some more over a space of hours. We had been taken into an examining room for all this, had seen a cheery Dr. M and his team in the hall, and everyone, including me were raring to go. The hardest part was the BMB of course, but I have been through this so many times that I can take it. Dr/ M is very good at it. Bo, a 4th-year med student, was his helper, and Dr. M. chatted with him about plans for next year, evidently taken with this fellow's gifts. What I noticed about him was that he had a rather serious demeanor but flashed the most radiant smiles when probed. After that. other tests, results placed in the drug co.'s form for their analysis. Dr. M also biopsied the rash, almost faded to nothingness, on my legs. A problem had turned up in June's first blood draw: platelets 46. They had to be at least 50 for me to get in. Normal low is 150. Dr. M. asked a technician to examine a sample of my blood again and count the platelets: this, without telling her why. The answer came back: 52. Hooray by all. Dr. M, enthusiastically, I'll take it, get that in the computer.

By the time we left, it was after 5 p.m. I waited on the sidewalk for Merwin to get the automobile, sitting on my wheelie. Merwin thought it would be a great idea to stop at Sarabeth's for a light meal, the one a couple of blocks away on Madison. I agreed somewhat reluctantly, but I certainly could see the advantage of leaving after some of the rush had receded. We had a nice meal: I had the famous tomato soup and french fries and took some fries home.

At home, I was so tired I could cry, but not sleep. Eventually I drifted off. Dr. M told me to stop the Hydrea, and I am sure that's why I was more energetic when I got up the next day. When Boita came, she put my wheelie in her car and we drove to the beach for a brisk walk. I felt better than I had in a long time. The two biopsied sites were somewhat painful, but nothing to speak of, nothing a little Tylenaol couldn't cure. Boita did the wash, and then we worked in the kitchen on baked cauliflower and sauteed cabbage‚ this latter from Sonia. I had Boita throw into both the other veggies in the drawers that needed to be used.

After she left, Stan and Doris arrived for our lunch at the Fishery Grill. This was the 3rd time for Merwin and me, and I said that would be it for me. I had 3 strike outs. On the other hand, Merwin liked his choices, so I might try one of those if he insists on going again. Kiraku is far better in every way, ambiance, food, service,

I finished another Donna Leon novel. Easy reaidng. Lots of Venice.

No more chit chat; awaiting word about whether I start on the infusions within the 28-day window allowed. That is, they have to get me started within 28 days for what I and they signed to be in effect.

Much to think about.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment