Thursday, November 3, 2011

Time speeds by



At the top, Itzik and Laika. They died very young, leaving four children, two of whom are still alive in their 90s. Cate, who is never far out of my mind, was a great granddaughter of this pair, whom she never knew, of course. Long story.

Dear Friends and Family,

From what we know, we are on for the trial, which might start next week or the week after. I am eager to go into the City this weekend to see the sights. It may be difficult to go to Mt. Sinai every other Thursday and also go to the apartment on weekends. We'll see. Since my platelets were way down this week, who knows what will happen.

We did go to the opera and enjoyed it greatly. The New Yorker reviewer is a bit down on the Met, but we are grateful for the close-by HD recordings. He doesn't like the direction of the operas, and he thinks the HD versions will kill opera elsewhere. Sigh. Hard to think of that when it has become so easy for us to participate in something meaningful to us. When we left the theater at about 5 p.m. it was snowing and very very windy. Merwin had to remove lots of snow from the car and then come get me and my wheelie, both huddled behind a wall. There's always a bit of excitement about the first snow—but very unexpected in October: climate change? The drive home was beautiful, if a little hazardous with a fallen tree.

Our older sons called on Sunday to see if we were suffering from the effects of the storm. They lost power, but we lost only heat, for some reason. Merwin and I tried to walk at the beach but soon turned back from the frigid and powerful wind. Later that day I finished screening the Patrick Stewart Macbeth and writing extensive notes, and my aim is to write a lucid paragraph before Laury comes to work with me tomorrow, Friday.

Monday, Joan called and asked if lunch would be a possibility: YES! We went to Kiraku, and our meals were excellent (we shared a bit). It's the best. And they know me there. Later there was Halloween, and we are sure that parents are bringing kids to our neighborhood because we have very few of our own children here these days. Merwin did the honors and I watched them come up the walk. Sammy was a favorite with all, who wanted to know if he was real or not. Well, he is real, but not a live dog.

Tuesday and Thursday Boeta came, and we are getting along fine. We walked at the water, which she enjoys. I like to keep her happy. After our walks, I led her through some kitchen work, or she led me, and then exercises: I didn't get through the whole cycle today—too fagged.

Dave made us a delicious kugle yesterday afternoon, and we will be having seconds tonight when Lincoln comes. He's on his way now.

That's all folks!



Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment