Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A luminous light is extinguished

Click to enlarge; use back arrow to return




My darling Bernice died at 6:30 AM on November 29, 2011.

I described our Thanksgiving in my last blog posting. Here is a picture of all who were gathered.
First row: Michelle, Laura, Rachael, our three granddaughters. Barbara (Sandy's sister) and Matt (Barbara's guy.) Middle row: Debbie with son Arthur behind,
Debbie's mother (Alzheimer victim) B&M (after almost 61 years) Murray (Sandy's dad.) Top row:  Sons Arthur, Lincoln, Lawrence (Sandy's brother), H&S. Son Dave arrived too late to get in the picture.

In the days that followed, Bernice grew weaker at an alarming rate. She was in pain and on Monday we arranged for Hospice care. Bernice made clear to the Hospice enrolling nurse that she was ready to go and the sooner the better. Sunday night had proved very difficult for me in lifting and guiding Bernice to the bathroom so I had son Dave stay with us on Monday night. He proved an invaluable help.

At around 5:00 AM when Bernice called us we were unable help her to any bathroom function. Her left arm was now blue and swollen and she said she was in terrific pain. We called 911 and she was quickly transported to the ER at Glen Cove hospital. I followed the ambulance and when I got inside I saw her heart still beating on the monitor but in less than a minute there were no more beats and she was gone. It was 6:30 AM.

Her enlarged spleen was a symptom of her cancer condition. She called it her 10-month bump. It appears that her spleen ruptured and this was fatal.

I will miss my darling wife of more than 60 years more than I am capable of expressing. This may well be the last posting of Bernice’s blog.

Here is the notice our synagogue posted on line:
With sadness we report the death of Bernice Kliman, a woman who was 
much beloved, respected and admired. Bernice showed us how best to 
live life and how best to live with dying. With her wide circle of 
family, friends, colleagues and synagogue members, her death leaves a 
wide chasm in the world. 
Most sincere sympathies to Merwin and to her 
children and grandchildren.



The family will observe shiva at the Kliman home, 70 Glen Cove Dr, Glen
Head,
on Wednesday evening, Nov 30 from 7:00 to 9:30pm and 
on Thursday evening, Dec 1 from 6:30 to 9:30pm.
 A minyan will be held Wednesday at 8:00pm and Thursday at 7:00pm. 

At present, a memorial service is scheduled at the synagogue on Sunday, 
January 15 beginning at 11:00 a.m.



Zikrona liv'raka / May Bernice's memory be for a blessing.


Love to all,
Merwin

3 comments:

  1. Dear Merwin,
    Like so many, many others, in so many different places and for so many different reasons, Judy and I feel bereft at this news. We loved her. We thought her a wonder, an academic Tina Turner (in her great stockings) and a kind of Zorba of the library. And, above all, a loving and a generous friend.
    We can only imagine your sense of loss, and we hope that the outpouring of love for her will be some solace.
    Love,
    Ralph Cohen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Merwin,
    I am deeply saddened by the death of Bernice,who was extraordinarily generous to me when I visited her and you with a common friend. Rarely have I met such a delightful and diligent academic and I hope the expressions of admiration for her will bring some comfort.
    Best
    Arvind Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merwin,
    Matteo and I are bereft. Bernice was so fun and full of life - the rare combination of great academic and wonderful human being. I feel for your loss, and wish you and all the family peace in the knowledge that she is out there boogying to Shakespeare again.

    best,
    Deb Walberg

    ReplyDelete