Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Good things happening

Here are our two twin grandchildren, in their apartment. Beyond is my sister's dining room set, which they are very pleased to own now. Merwin is taking the photo.

Dear friends and family,

Just a short note today because I am leaving for the dentist in about 30 minutes to have a broken molar pulled. I am a little frightened, because I have had bad experiences with teeth, but I am sure I can deal with it.

I want to tell my friends and family who are coming to my talk at the NYPL on April 12th at 1:15 p.m. that there is another program following mine. I will, however, leave the auditorium after my talk and return to our apartment. I would be very happy if you would join me there: 32 W. 40th St., Apt. 4E. Our apartment building is across the street from Bryant Park and the Library, directly across from the path that separates the library from the park. Please let me know if you think you will be able to stop by.

As for news, I am doing well. The itching has subsided to manageable levels—probably because of the addition of Paxil. But there are also the Gapapentin, anti-histamines, and UVB. So I can't be sure what is working best.

Yesterday, Sonia and I went to Caggiano's to pick up some side dishes for our evening supper with the writing group. That was easy. I had already baked a large piece of salmon as our main course, and the group brought appetizers, desserts, bread, etc. And dear Kathryn brought my favorite, a huge quantity of sesame noodles. Yum. She made a lot so I would have leftovers. No such luck. Kathryn and Toby, recently retired, came early and efficiently set the table and got everything ready for serving. I wandered to my bed for a catnap at times or to the couch in the study, where I could hear everyone.

Everyone was there, except Jay, who was sorely missed. I was thinking of him all day. The readings went very well—every one different, every one interesting. The ongoing work of Joe is simply wonderful. The reminiscence by Hedda about the death of a close friend of course hit the mark. And Barbara wrote about a ballet experience. Everyone did try to help with the cleanup, always the most difficult part of the affair. But still there was much for Merwin to do. I can't figure out exactly how to ease that for him. Maybe get someone in to help. We used to do that regularly when we had dinner parties.

Got to go now! I look forward to hearing from you about coming to 4E after the talk.

Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment