Thursday, March 24, 2011

Still up and down


These are recent photos of Sandy, the granddaughter who Sandy, one of our special friends, never got to see. Above is a most touching photo: Sandy is reaching for her grandfather, and, though he cannot speak or respond very much, I think the serene look on his face does show that he is aware of love and warmth around him.

Dear Friends and family,

The day started well, with itching under control; this is after starting Paxil and benedryl as a backup for the one-a-day antihistamines. With Sonia's help, I was able to reorganize the downstairs freezers and make maps of which shelves hold what. We also had a good walk, went through my usual course of exercises, and cooked up oatmeal for the next week. Then I drove, by myself, for a consult with the oral surgeon who will remove, next week, a broken molar—no infection, probably just the force of my grinding at night split it into 3 pieces. I like the dentist, and I hope this procedure will not affect me for very long.

Merwin went this morning for the mapping of his prostate, and overall he came home happy, if tired. I am glad I could drive without his help.

We ate the last of the Lasagna that had been on Merwin's birthday menu, which surfaced from the freezer, along with other long-lost items.

Other good news: I have begun to respond to the edits for "At Sea about Hamlet at Sea," suggested by the top brass at the Folger who are in charge of this phase of the process for Shakespeare Quarterly. I find this process great to distract me. One of the editors at the Folger found a great playbill for me that validates a major point in my argument—an 1821 playbill featuring Macready's first performance as Hamlet. I had a playbill, but it was so dim that it would not have made a good illustration. I am hoping to work with the suggested edits tomorrow.

Other good news: a Polish Shakespearean sent me her book about a Polish diplomat of Elizabethan times, I guess because she refers to my work, a very short essay that is now on Hamletworks.org about that same person. I will be happy to write her a thank you note before I find out if she refutes my argument. My little essay is on hamletworks.org and I will add a note about what she says, pro or con.

And I got a grand royalty check! Enough to take out a couple people for lunch. I am counting more on Lotto and Megabucks to lift me from this slough of despond (aka poor purse).

Laury came over to chat. It's so good of her to put us on her so very tight schedule. I miss our working together.

I know there's more, but I am itching too much to go on.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment