Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Doctors galore

Harvey took this photo using a delayed action shutter. This is the whole group together on Sunday, all sitting on the convertible couch in my study: Laura, Merwin, me, Sandy and Harvey.

Dear Friends and Family,

Sonia came on Monday rather than Tuesday because we had an appointment with Dr K. She made apple compote, as usual, but this time with frozen red raspberries instead of strawberries. A little tart, but good. We also made mock chopped liver, Bobbie and Norm's version. This time I had all the right ingredients, and it turned out very well—too well since it goes down very easily. No really bad ingredients; tastes much more delicious than one might expect. You could use egg whites instead of whole eggs to eliminate the cholesterol entirely.

Mock Chopped Liver (double this recipe to have something for the freezer)

1 15 oz. can of peas (drained)

1/2 pumpernickel bagel (not sweet! Using a sweet bagel was my mistake the first time)

1 onion, cut up, sauteed until very soft

3 hard boiled eggs

1/3 cup of walnuts

Use food processor to grind bagel & nuts (chop fine). Add eggs (chop fine). Add onions & drained peas (chop fine)

Pepper to taste. You might also add salt, but the mix didn't seem to need it. Optional: 1 T Mayo (I didn't see a need for it). The mix comes out very creamy and spreadable.

Thanks Bobbie and Norm!


On Tuesday we saw Dr. K, who advised us to get (me) into the one available trial at Mt. Sinai. The warnings look formidable to me, but Dr. K asked "What choice do you have?" And besides, the warnings have to cover all possibilities, no matter how faint. Reminds me of all the ads for prescription drugs one sees on TV where the visual images and music are upbeat and pleasing, while the voiceover warns of significant ill effects, even death. So I think we will try to get to see Dr. M again with the contract in hand, ready to sign. The Nurse Practitioner in charge of this trial is away this week, so we will try for an appointment next week.


Today we saw the neurologist, Dr. O., who wants me to try smaller amounts of the drug I already tried. He wants me to give it more of a chance. The first doses caused drowsiness, but the smaller amount should serve to get me used to it. I do not want to spend valuable time sleeping! I have too much to do!

Interestingly enough, Dr. O. said that the NIH wants neurologists to work on pruritis (itching) studies. Wouldn't that be wonderful if the neurologists would find something to counteract this itching? When I asked Dr. K if there was something, anything, else I could try, she shrugged: there is nothing. I already take anti-histamines, UVB treatments, lotions galore. The tranquilizer that works for some did not work for me.

Sorry to be so medical, but that's what's going on just now. Other things, like computer glitches, memory blocks, and the like, are bad enough without writing about them.

More interesting news tomorrow, I hope.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment