Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Viral Victories

Hello Everyone,

No, no I am not referring to those first-thought-of computer viruses concocted by malicious crazies who have given good computer people a bad name, but am thinking of the original viruses whose mindless variety are responsible for so much human misery by causing colds. As I mentioned in an earlier blog, a cold was visited on me on the very day after Bernice arrived home and it has now nearly faded away. Unfortunately, poor Bernice who often avoids cold even when i have succumbed, started with a runny nose and cough yesterday and is now contending with this miserable malady. Yesterday she felt poorly enough to postpone her session of PT. One must accept these things but I do feel guilty having visited this additional burden on my dear. Today marks one week that she is home.

In the time being other things are getting organized and it is surprising how long these things take. The Visiting Nurse is coming MWF, Bill the PT person also three times a week, the blood draw once a week, and yesterday i made an arrangement for a cleaning woman to visit once a week. Medicare pays for all but the cleaning. The Visiting Nurse Service is trying to get a home health aid who would help with showering, bed making, laundry, and meal preparation but no luck to this point. The problem is that most of these people do not have cars and Glen Head is remote. I am working on alternates and hope to find someone today. Friend Florence brought some delicious blueberry muffins which we both enjoyed. I am making meals from our store of freezer foods.

Bernice is reading the daily NY Times, the New Yorker, watching all kinds of television but this mental diet is driving her stir crazy. She says that my visits to her when we can just sit and converse are welcome and she misses me during my absences but does understand that I have other things to do. I wonder when I will be able to return to my JCC exercise activity. I suppose we must be patient with the slow process of healing and be thankful that things are on the upswing now.

Looking forward to brighter and inevitable days,
love Merwin

No comments:

Post a Comment