Sunday, September 5, 2010

Back in the City

Hello All,

I am back in the city after a night and part of a day in Glen Head where I was able to sort through piles of mail to sift the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. What a burden this growth of junk mail is to everyone concerned: the companies and charities evidently convinced that it has a payoff, the poor mail person who lugs the excess around, the homeowner who must handle it and usually disposes of it, and finally, our already overstressed garbage disposal system. But enough of my day at home and on to Bernice. During my absence from the hospital we were already into the Saturday night of the Labor Day Weekend. Bernice and I spoke many times by phone so I heard her frustration in being unable to get help in a timely manner. A few of the nursing and aide staff did not show up (Doctors were all present) and this staff shortage overworked those present and created annoying delays. Bernice is no longer in the critical care category so an inevitable and understandable triage put her at a disadvantage on Saturday night. One compensation was that her Russian-speaking roommate (who left Bernice some delicious fruit) was discharged so the room was quieter. I am pleased to report that by Sunday the staffing levels had risen to normal and Bernice was more satisfied.

I gathered many things from Glen Head (like my Cheerios cereal that I couldn't buy near the apartment) and Dave drove us in to Mt Sinai. Bernice enjoyed seeing son Dave who also stopped off at the apartment to perform some computer fixes for me. Friend Laury also stopped in to visit Bernice. When Bernice's dinner arrived Bernice deemed it as less than satisfactory. Thoughtful and resourceful Laury asked Bernice what she would like and went out and down the street to a place she knew. She returned with a feast for Bernice: lox, pumpernickel, tomato, and two cheeses. It was a treat for Bernice and for us seeing her eat a good quantity. I felt there was marked improvement today. Bernice is spending a good amount of time sitting at the side of the bed and doing leg exercises. She told me not to overplay the improvement story when blog writing but things do look better to me.

Happy Labor Day all,
Merwin

No comments:

Post a Comment