Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Work is a joy










We are blessed with a plethora of blooms, and as if the multitude of miniature and full-size daffodils, magnolia buds, forsythia, outside, were not enough, we have this valiant this cactus that sits on the kitchen window, thrusting out this flowering branch for the first time since Lore gave it to us many years ago. A good sign.

Dear Friends and Family,

Dr. Mascarhenhas thinks that my passion for work is what is keeping me going. Turns out I was not supposed to see him at all, and I arrived at 5:30 p.m. (for the appointment given to me by the hospital's appointment secretary) after a long clinic day for him. But he and Amy were happy to see us nevertheless. The trial has been delayed, so there was no contract to sign. And looking at my crazy numbers he wasn't sure what he could do for me. But he promised he would do something. He wanted more blood than the usual pre-doctor intake I get there, so his nurse drew 5 whole additional vials. He planned to come back from a meeting he had to attend to look at the bloods in his microscope to try and figure out what's happening. Ah me. At least the low sugar that showed up on Monday when I went for the phlebotomy turned out to be a false alarm. My sugar was fine yesterday.

The amazing thing is that I had worked as much as I could all day and was really tired on the drive to Mt. Sinai, but being there, being encouraged by the interest Dr. M has in me, the pleasure (yes) of the whole experience, I revived. We drove to our apartment, where Ricardo, teh doorman, has saved a parking spot for us right in front of the building (allowed after 7 p.m.), and we bought some chocolates next door for next Tues., tidied up the apartment a little, dusted a little, then walked around to 39th street to go to the fancy kosher restaurant, where I did fine. No pain from neuropathy at all. Rick, my other son, had brought in a case of Trader Joe wine, 6 reds, 6 whites. What a dear.

It's a good thing work is piling up, if work is what is keeping me going. I continue to read through the SQ edits of "At Sea," which mostly convert my style to their style, tightening the prose. But sometimes they have a problem understanding what I mean. The essay is a bit sly, because I don't want to reveal all I know in the present; I want to unfold it as I discovered each aspect. OK, that's going well, and I should meet the deadline of 11 April. Then there is the Macbeth review to finish; Laury thinks it's good to go with additions about the acting. Ideas float around in my mind. I want to finish it before I see another Macbeth next week, at BAM. But then what should come in but a chapter I wrote a couple of years ago about 3 Hallmark Hamlets on TV, and the editors, dear friends, Sarah and Nathalie, want the chapters reviewed and edited by the 15th! Authors can't change much, because the book is all laid out already, but we are just meant to see if there are any little glitches. Then Laury sent the chapter I wrote for her wonderful book, but she assures me I have plenty of time, later in the month, to go over her edits. Oh my! lots to keep me happy, but maybe a tiny bit less stress over deadlines would be good. Then I can get back to my regular work on hamletworks.org.

Looking forward to next Tuesday is an especial joy. I expect to see some of you there, and do come to the apartment to join in the congratulations or commiserations, #32 W. 40th Street, a building with two small green awnings, opposite the path between the NYPL and Bryant Park. Whatever. The talk has given me a lot of opportunities to work with the site, and I am very proud of what we have done with it.

Love to you all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment