Thursday, April 14, 2011

Moving right along


The top photo is of Jesús and me, shortly before Merwin took him to the airport, and the bottom photo is one Jesús wanted to take to show his son Pau because of the flat-screen TV, somewhat smaller than their new flat-screen. Note that there are no wires showing, and the box is tucked out of sight on a shelf—all this Dave's handiwork with Merwin's help. This 32" screen replaces our 10" TV, which we couldn't hear if moved away from the table. I am a news junky. On the table is a pan of baby bok choy, so delicious.

Dear Friends and Family,

Wednesday, life went on with lots to do. The main thing was providing meals, Merwin going for his first radiation treatment after a couple of preliminary sessions, working a little with Jesús who was steadily engaged in improving his Modernized Hamlet, and finally going with Laury to see a Macbeth at BAM. I am reviewing this play for The Shakespeare Newsletter, something that is going to be hard to do because I disliked it so much. But at least it helps me to see even more clearly why the TFANA version is so good. I hope to wrap up that review this weekend. But I also have to review my Who Hears essay for Laury's book.

Jesús certainly perseverates, but I think I helped him to simplify the display of his text on the site. Check it out. Go to The Enfolded Hamlet on hamletworks.org, pull down the display box, and you will see Modernized Hamlet. Open it. The numbers at the left are hot and will lead you to notes. A little T next to that number means that Jesús recommends that you look at those notes especially. What a great job he is doing.

The sad thing about going to BAM was that I needed so much help, but I find myself dealing with that pretty well. Laury drives me right to the door. She carries my pillow for me to sit on. She cossets and cares for me. I asked an usher to let me take his arm to get to my seat. If you have ever been to BAM's Harvey Theater, you will know how steep are the steps down into the orchestra, where there is no railing. A worse problem is that after sitting for 2 1/2 hours with no intermission, I could not lift myself off the seat. An usher came to help me. It's rather worrisome to be so weak. It happens only when I have sat for a long time. But I must do something about my strength.

Today, Sonia came. I missed her because I couldn't have her on Tuesday (the NYPL day). First we went for a very long walk, the longest yet. I bet it was 1/4 mile, maybe more, hilly too. Then mostly she helped me prepare stuff for our meals today. I made the potato leek gratin that I had expected to make for Jesús but just couldn't get enough energy to execute. I also made my mother's carrot, turnip and mayo salad. Sonia is so cute because she likes learning new dishes from me. She loved the salad.

Otherwise, a quiet day, mostly resting.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment