Thursday, February 17, 2011

Writing group today


Audrey at the wheel about 6 months ago: she is Marisa's daughter and Vaughan's granddaughter. Soon Kathryn's children will be featured, I promise.

Dear friends and family,

Writing group today, at NCC, Hedda's office, very cozy, very comfortable. I ate continually: delicious pita, humus, cheese, cake and peanut butter chocolate cups. All yummy. I saw several other members of the department, including a new guy hired for this semester and Rick, who will be arriving sometime this evening to spend the night, so we can have a morning together tomorrow.

The papers were all interesting, all different. Joe is working on his novel, spending time to shape portraits of his characters, this one today a priest. Kathryn, who drove me to and from the college, wrote about the virus that attacked her computer in the guise of what seemed to be a former student. Hedda wrote about her struggles with a back injury. Jay countered a view taken by Toby (who was absent) about a statement by Meta (who did not read today), I wrote about holiday seasons past and present. Barbara wrote a poem, powered by the color yellow. It's impossible to do justice to the writing style in a brief list. Anna was absent, but we will all see each other at Elliott's birthday party. After I got home, I rushed to my bed and slept for 2 solid hours, a deep seemingly dreamless sleep. The activity, from about 10:25 when we left Glen Head, to about 1:25 when we returned, was well worth it. I was so happy to be there.

Interesting news today: a Shakespearean from Britain emailed to ask me to undertake a chapter in a book he and another Shakespearean have under contract. My chapter would cover a history of Macbeth in performance. I have already done that work for my book on Macbeth, but I would have to produce something different for this new book, something more up to date. I asked for time to think about it, because I have no idea how much time I have. I also asked if I could invite a co-editor for the chapter and was told I could indeed ask someone to join me in the project. I have already broached it with Laury, who is game. We miss our collaboration. Her interest in joining me seems to make doing it more feasible. I love being asked to contribute to books, but realistically, given that my primary focus in hamletworks.org, do I want to spend the time on Macbeth again? Dawn and I have been chatting about the play because it figures in her PhD dissertation, and that has renewed my interest in the play. But still. Can I spend an hour a day on Macbeth as well as three or more hours on hamletworks.org?

I'll decide in a few days, I think.

Merwin is going to read from Justice for me again. Sonia will be coming tomorrow, and the weekend in busy, so I have to plan rests.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment