Saturday, February 26, 2011

Corrections

This photo returns to the dinner party for our anniversary a few weeks ago. It features our dear cousins Sylvia and Marty. He courted her right here in our living room after they had met at the University of Buffalo. Now they have 3 sons and 8 grandchildren, with another on the way next month. The t-shirt I am wearing reminds me of being in Berkeley for the Bar Mitzvah of one of Vaughan's grandsons. On the main street in town there was (maybe is) a shop that sold clothes made by women in Africa; the shop supported their work by sharing profits with them. The symbol on the front means peace can be chosen (two fists separating and an olive branch of peace). I like that: peace is a choice. Would there were peace all over the Middle East, peace with democracy and dignity for all.

Dear Friends and Family,

Yesterday's photo, Merwin tells me, also shows me in a black top, gingerly stepping on the rocks. There is also Rachel's uncle looking off to the left and two others in the background who may also be part of our group. I do not at all recall the occasion.

Once I read the contract for the second drug trial (stage one, determining dosage), I felt it was not for me. There are dire warning associated with it: all kinds of bad things can happen. Of course, I know that the drug maker and Dr. M. have to tell you the worse that can happen. I know that if I read the warnings on all my drugs I would not want to take any. But this seems like a drug that will slow me down. It's not just the infusion at the hospital, requiring a 2-day stay. That's only once a month, if I remember correctly.I have so many things I want to do; I don't want to feel sick and unable to work. I am inclined to wait (if my body lets me) for the Comfort drug, which in trials (that I could not get on because of my wacky platelets) showed some good results in reducing spleen size and fatigue. That will happen towards the end of 2011 or the beginning of 2012.

The second trial drug will not do anything for the neuropathy or the itching which makes me take lots of antihistamines—and those pills contribute to the fatigue that is one of the features of this disease anyway. I have to consider myself lucky in that my pain is minimal, mostly from bad knees, which has nothing to do with my myelo fibrosis (I believe). This morning, I heard from our cousin Nancy, whose mother is in excruciating pain because of severe back problems. She has to have surgery. She is in worse shape than I am.

We're off to the opera (HD live broadcast). More about that later.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment