Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow, snow, snow!













These photos are of a friend's three gorgeous girls. The adjective is superfluous because they are so obviously beautiful. Seeing these photos makes me smile. Maybe I'll see the girls in person when my friend comes to NYC this March. As usual, click on photo to enlarge and then back- arrow to return to the blog.

Dear friends and family,

It snowed again, and I have mixed feelings. It is beautiful to look at. Merwin filled the bird feeder yesterday, and the smaller birds especially have been active at visiting it. There is a frame of icicles, a delicate fringe, at the top of my south-facing windows in my bed-sitting room. (Arthur tells me that's because the insulation is not sufficient; his energy efficient home in New Hampshire has no icicles.) Earlier today, the snow had been packed on the various branches in view, but now most of the heavier loads have fallen, though the delicate branches still have their snow sleeves on. I think we had about 18" of snow, on top of all the snow that was still on the sidelines from the previous snow storms.

What worries me is Merwin's insistence on shoveling. He has the snow blower, but the snow was too deep for that, plus the side of the driveway was already lined with many feet of snow. So he used a shovel to make inroads. My father had a heart attack when shoveling snow, and I think of that when I watch him out the window. I finally blew my little (but powerful) distress horn to get his attention and urge him to stop. He, of course, thinks he's immortal.

Sonia could not get here today obviously. We will miss her, but for me it means another day of rest, without the exercises she does with me and the food prep we do together. I am always exhausted (but exhilarated at the progress) when she leaves. She called me excitedly because she had tried my cauliflower recipe—actually Sami's recipe—and LOVED it. She had helped me make this last week: Preheat oven to 400 - 450, depending on your oven. Separate a head of cauliflower into flowerets, about 1" wide each with their little stems, wash and then lay out to dry on a paper towel. In a bowl big enough to hold the flowerets, pour 2 T good olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and Sonia added curry powder (almost any spice or combination will be good). Add the flowerets and mix well. When the flowerets are well coated, and there is no olive oil left in the bottom of the bowl because it is well distributed on the flowerets, pour them onto a baking sheet (as for cookies) and spread them around. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 min. Check, and if the tops are brown turn them over to brown on the other side. When they are brown on both sides, take out of the oven and begin eating! They are irresistible and good hot, warm, or cool. Sonia likes to try everything we make together, and it is all new to her because as I may have mentioned her husband does all the booking in their home. What fun to pass on these recipes!

Of course, it is no surprise, really, that Arthur and Debby will be delayed coming here tomorrow. They had expected to be here in time for lunch; now we will be lucky if they can make it in time for supper. No need to go into the reasons: they are totally understandable and unexpected. I find, as I have mentioned before, that I get enormous pleasure about thinking of planned events, whether outings or visits from friends and family, and then if the plans fall through, I have had at least the pleasure of anticipation. On Saturday the rest of the family who are available will arrive to help us celebrate our 60th wedding anniversary. I probably won't write in my blog again until after everyone leaves.

I have finished the first draft of my sentinels piece for the website and will read the printout, make corrections, and then let it sit for a while before I send it to my co-editors for their comments and, I hope, approval.

More work awaits in the wings; there is always more to do, more to look forward to.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment