Monday, January 31, 2011


The photo shows a few of the icicles that are fringing the three bedroom windows, overlooking the street. Very beautiful.

Dear Friends and Family,

We are recovering from our wonderful 60th anniversary weekend: Harvey took many many photos and videotaped almost the whole day, on Saturday. I'll blog some sample photos soon. The actual date is today (Jan. 31st), and we are seriously considering going out to celebrate, before the next storm blasts in: if we go out for dinner this will be a first for me since July 22nd (I think).

The highlights: the day started on Friday night, when Debbie and Arthur arrived in time for Shabbos dinner. I decided at the last minute earlier in the day to make kedgeree, a recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook that my dear friend (Merwin's sister) Essie gave me when we were first married. The dish is a favorite of Arthur's, and though somewhat long in preparation very simple. It violates my current 3 ingredients or 3 steps rule, but for my dear Arthur it was worth it. The recipe is below (I hope).

Sat. was a date of eating, big time! On Saturday, Harvey and Sandy arrived with salads and other goodies for lunch. Arthur made tuna salad. I did nothing. Debbie's son, David Manoff, had been picked up in Port Washington (from Philly where he is in his second year of residency), so we were 7 at the lunch table in my bright study. We were overjoyed to meet Debbie's David, but I think he must have been overwhelmed by the noisy, talkative Klimans, especially after our sons Dave and Lincoln, and our granddaughters Michelle and Rachael joined us later that afternoon. Every once in a while, I slipped off to my bedroom to rest. When I emerged for our special dinner at about 6 p.m. (early because David Manoff had to get back to Philly that evening) the table was beautifully set with a special blue and white cloth, a candelabra encircled by fairy candles, white dishes and blue glasses. Debbie had brought champagne and poured it into our beautiful champagne glasses. So festive! There were eleven of us at table.

With the videotape running, Harvey asked us to tell some of the old stories about our first falling in love, our wedding in Syracuse with only my college friends in attendance, being stuck there because of a faulty generator in the faithful '39 Chevy, and a snow storm, subsisting on a salami that my mother had sent us off with when we left to get married, the trip from Syracuse to Buffalo with Merwin's daring attack on a huge hill that had flummoxed all others, and more. Merwin has a fantastic memory, and I chimed in also. Everyone enjoys these old family stories.

Our families have a tradition of eloping (which our two married sons—or their brides—did not want to emulate when they got married): My mother, Merwin's mother, my sister and Merwin's sister had all eloped. We couldn't exactly elope because we were underage and had to carry with us letters from our parents giving their permission. So everyone knew what we intended.

After Shabbos. Sylvia and Marty joined us, and there were more tales—of their courtship while Sylvia stayed with us after graduating from college in Buffalo almost 40 years ago! After dessert, I slipped away again but was joined by Michelle and others as I rested on my trusty recliner.

When I returned to the kitchen the next morning, I found that almost everything had been taken care of, leftovers packaged for the freezer, dishwasher full, etc. Arthur and Debbie were the only ones remaining for breakfast. Arthur and I had a deal: if I was up to it, I would make omelets. If not, he would. We both like doing it. I was happy that I could do it, and they came out looking beautiful. Eventually, Arthur and Debbie had to leave for Epping, and Merwin and I were alone together again. That's nice too.

A quiet day ending with some nature shows on TV.

I am feeling content and happy.

Love to all,
Bernice

Here is the Recipe. I hope:

Kedgeree Recipe

One pot, one bowl method, serves 4-6

Hard boil two eggs. Allow to cool, peel, separate whites and yolks. Put chopped whites into a large bowl.

In the same pot, make 1 Cup of wild rice (raw measure), following package directions. Empty into the bowl. (I wash the wild rice thoroughly in a strainer, place in pot and cover with cold water, bring to boil. Pour off water and cover with cold water again and boil until tender.)

In the same pot, saute 1 Cup or more sliced mushrooms in a very little butter. Empty into the bowl. If you cannot use mushrooms, use 1 Cup of marinated artichoke hearts, straight from the jar, drained.

In the same pot make a curry sauce, a basic light white sauce with 1 teaspoon (or more) of curry:

Melt two-three tablespoons of butter.

Add an equal amount of flour, slowly, stirring to blend well.

Cook these together with the curry powder until they are bubbly, making a roux.

In the meantime, heat two cups of milk (skimmed milk is OK, whole is better) in micro until hot.

Add the hot milk slowly to the roux, stirring.

(If you‘re in a hurry, for the white sauce use a can of condensed mushroom soup diluted with enough milk to make two cups, add the curry powder.)

Add the curry sauce to the large bowl.

Add 2 cans of very well drained tuna. Alternatively, a pound of cooked fresh firm fleshed fish may be used.

Add one small jar (or part of a jar if you prefer) of diced or sliced pimentos to the large bowl.

Mix all ingredients well.

Pour into buttered shallow casserole, about 6” x 9” x 2”.

On top, sprinkle a few ounces of sliced almonds.

Press the egg yolks through a sieve to create a pattern of yellow egg crumbs on the top.

Bake at 350o for about 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly. If you want, you can prepare the casserole early in the day and refrigerate it, then bake it just before serving it. If so, allow a few more minutes of baking because the ingredients will be cold.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment