Saturday, August 14, 2010

Never Ending Adventures?

Hello All,
Merwin still at the keyboard. As I reported earlier, Bernice returned home from Rehab last Wednesday and home life has been far from peaceful since then. I wish that I could write about non-medical issues like the lovely day it is today but such choices are not always ours. On the last two days of her Rehab I felt that not only was Bernice’s mobility, getting into and out of bed and making the trip to the bathroom, not improving, but I felt it was getting worse. With the PT schedule at the hospital allowing me to visit only after 4:00 I thought that I was seeing her after a long day of effort and this explained things. At her discharge I mentioned this to the discharge doctor and he said that the PT reported she was fine and his examination showed nothing amiss. So off to home we went and I now could see that Bernice was weaker than I had ever seen her. She applied herself to the exercises she had been given and we hoped these would soon improve things. In keeping with getting into shape Bernice insisted on at least trying to do things as much as possible on her own.
On Friday in the course of moving from bed to her wheelie on the way to the bathroom, she tilted slightly to right. Ordinarily, a quick movement of her right foot to the right would have kept her upright but she continued to list and sunk to the floor. Fortunately, her only injury was a bruise to her cheek where she hit the bedside cabinet. I had been standing by but it all transpired too quickly for me to catch her but I also saw it all in a slow-motion blur. She now sat with her back to the bedside. I positioned myself behind her and soon found that, try as I might, I was unable to right her again. My injured back of a couple weeks ago probably blunted my effort. Bernice could not help. After a fruitless search for a neighbor (the young were at work and only seniors were at home) I finally called our fire rescue unit and they dispatched a policeman. A hearty young buck soon had Bernice on her feet.
I now made a number of phone calls. Our local hematologist is on vacation until next Thursday and we were not happy about trying to visit a backup. Our primary care doctor, Dr. Goldberg, a cardiologist and internist, asked us to come in at 7:30 after his last scheduled patient. Our son Dave helped in the transport and in many house tasks. Dr. Goldberg's examination showed nothing abnormal but he was concerned about her blood values and wants her to be seen by a hematologist as soon as feasible. Again, at the time of her fall on July 23 Bernice had been on a trial drug from about five weeks. Looking at what has happened to her blood values since, it seems that this drug had many benefits. For example, her white blood cell count was at 102 days before her fall and other values were in reasonable balance. Normal WBC is in a range 4 to 11. Since the fall, with no trial drug, her WBC has soared to 264 as of August 9. We will try to get into Mount Sinai and her hematologist there as soon as we can. Not being a doctor, I can only speculate as to causes for her weakness.

Our son Harvey and his wife Sandy are due to arrive here soon. They originally were going to visit our son Arthur and wife Debby in New Hampshire but changed their plans. We are looking into having an aid to help out here.

Hoping things calm down here and Bernice mends soon.
Love to all,
Merwin

1 comment:

  1. Oh no. i'm so sad that Bernice hasn't improved as quickly as we all were hoping....I'm so glad your children are coming----no doubt that will help immensely!

    ReplyDelete