Sunday, August 22, 2010

Merwin at Home

Hello All,

The Sunday hospital staff was attentive today. Nurses are terrific and knowledgeable and the interns and residents are well-meaning, collecting data, and responding to emergencies. H&S and I stayed into the afternoon during which time Bernice rested twice but did not want to get up for a walk. She did eat more and her spirits seemed a little brighter. I am hoping that we might hear from the big doctors tomorrow why she is not more improved. On the other hand, her WBC is down to 118 and other blood values are more balanced. I suppose that these are priority accomplishments which must precede the physical progress.

I left NYC and arrived to a rainy Glen Head at about 4:00. I was taken aback at the spaciousness of our home after spending the week in our little city studio. I have already sorted through sizable piles of mail and paid far too many bills already on-line. Where do all these come from? There are other administrative tasks including taking in the info on nursing care in Nassau Count I got from Glen Cove hospital. I am heading back on the 11:00 AM train and will subway directly to Bernice. She is being moved into a new room tonight — with her bed next to a window but a farhter walk to the bathroom. They feel that she can now make this walk and they want her to do so. Her room mate in her present room (I unavoidably overheard this) a woman in her 60s just diagnosed with colon cancer heading for an operation this coming week. She was practically yelling and complaining to two doctors that she had never been sick. Why had this happened to her? I hope Bernice's new room will be more peaceful but the oncology floor can be a rough place.

Anyway, i intend to have pleasanter thoughts tonight as I lie in my GH bed not visited for a week.

best and love to all,
Merwin

No comments:

Post a Comment