Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dear friends and family,

Two wonderful responses came in for cauliflower recipes. Just in time. They are very similar except the one from Sandy specifically mentions many spices from which to choose while the one from Sami just mentions spices to taste. Sonia, my aide, a retired nurse, will help me prepare this dish. Sonia comes to us twice a week courtesy of our long-term care insurance. Basically, both recipes call for small pieces, with olive oil or walnut oil (Sami) or canola oil (Sandy: never olive oil!), baked till brown. Sandy also adds onion and potato pieces. Today, I start with Sami’s recipe, using cumin as the spice, one of my favorites. Before Rothkamp Farm closes, I will get another cauliflower and try Sandy's. Actually, the one I put together myself is very similar, except I stewed it rather than baking it: onion, mushroom, small pieces of potato, turmeric, and finally a scrambled egg once it was done. 1/4 of a caulifower made 4 meals! three for me and one for Merwin. I can eat the same thing every day.

This is the first week that I am completely without helpers from Visiting Nurses of NYC. All of them were wonderful: Dimary, my 3x a week aide; Ronnie, the nurse; and Bill, the physical therapist. I am grateful to all of them; I hate losing them as part of my life. Bill was the last one to go—and he gave me a kiss and told me I could contact him any time if I had questions or concerns. He lives close by, but I doubt I will bother him. Sonia is a great help with the exercises, most of which require another person.

It's a beautiful sunny day here today, and Sonia and I will go for a walk first thing. It's chilly but invigorating. Breakthrough today: I got the NYT on our driveway; it's tricky because it's a hill, ut I did it.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment