Friday, November 12, 2010

The work goes on

Dear friends and family,

Laury and I are reaching the last days of our collaboration on Measure for Measure; we had a hiatus of three months after my fall on July 23rd, and she has gently pushed me to work, always willing to come to me and work for as long or short a time as I am able. We just completed the acknowledgments, and today we may select the 8 or 9 photos for the book. There are a few holes to fill here and there before we send it to our supportive general editor, Jim Lake. There are many Focus editions ahead of ours, so they are not in a hurry for this play.

Another almost finished bit of work is an essay I wrote for Shakespeare Survey. The editorial staff will complete the necessary formatting changes—for which I am grateful.

So my only unfinished job is responding to the editorial staff's comments (which I have not received yet) for the essay I wrote for Shakespeare Quarterly; I hope i will receive this editorial work-over soon and that I can respond to it. But there is nothing I can do to speed up their process.

The larger work on the website hamletworks.org will be my major work for as long as I am able to do it. I originally chose such tasks (in the 1980s) because I could pick up and put down the work to blend with the many demands of teaching in a community college (till 1999). Now this pace works well for my condition.

I did want to write about what happened yesterday: Sonia's salmon patties (delicious), Rabbi Lee's visit (he loved my apple compote), the damage to my foot when a freezer container fell about 5 feet on it (scary and painful: I move too fast, even now), the continuing pleasure I get from the evolving scene outside my windows (now that the dogwood has lost its leaves I can see the brilliant red of the maple beyond it), and more. But there is tomorrow for recording daily activities and thoughts.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment