Sunday, September 18, 2011

Back from NYC


One of Lincoln's many activities is building or commissioning costumes and, with a group of like-minded folks, entertaining seniors in nursing homes and children in hospitals, participating in parades, etc. Lincoln in the bottom photo is the dramatic fellow with his left arm raised.

Dear Friends and Family,

Merwin and I went to our apartment in the City this weekend! Hooray! Yes, I was tired, but I was energized by being there, by visits from our granddaughter Michelle and our friend Rick—both of whom came after my two-hour nap! We went to an Indian Restaurant around the corner, less popular than the Chinese restaurant on the same block that we like a lot. But we knew we have to wait for seats there and not at the other. The downside is the 3 steps leading to the dining room—steep, without a railing. Rick and the host practically had to carry me down. A plus was that we decided to take the rollater (walker with wheels), which made it easier for me to get around, much faster than the cane. I had my favorite, Sag Paneer (spinach and firm cottage chese). The Nan was great. Very pleasant. But then there comes a moment when I realize it's over. Unfortunately, in spite of the fatigue, I had to get up those stairs (with Rick's help) and back to the apartment, where I went right to bed. But since it was early, Merwin read to me until it was time to go to sleep.

I slept well, but when I tried to get out of bed at about 7 a.m. this morning, I could not move without pain. It was a new thing, a back pain, no matter which way I turned, but eventually the pain disappeared and I was able to get up. Who knows how this body works?

By the way, this first view of the apartment in a couple of months was a deep pleasure. Michelle and Isabel had left it very neat and clean. I kept on looking around at the art, the mirrors, the rugs and felt we had done a great job, a very satisfying space to be in. We also went for a walk in Bryant Park, using the rollater and avoiding steps. Lovely to be there.

When we came home, I noted the arrival of the book that Sarah and Natalie had put together as they do every two years celebrating their conferences and the papers presented. I did not attend the conference on Hamlet, but they were kind enough to invite me to write a paper, and they included it. I like my essay quite a bit. I am happy when I can write an essay that I enjoy. It's on three Hallmark versions of Hamlet, the latest being from 2000, directed by and starring Scott Campbell. No one has, I think, written about that film/TV production sympathetically.

We returned to Glen Head in mid-afternoon. I already had our meal prepared before we left for the City, so no prep required.

I tried to do some exercises today, but I miss Sonia greatly. She won't be here again till Thursday.

Merwin is talking to Arthur, so I will go now,

Love to all,
Bernice



No comments:

Post a Comment