Friday, June 17, 2011

Too many days




When I neglect my blog, I accumulate images, so here are some recent ones: The clematis (closeup and long shot) has decided to climb up the unused string that Merwin uses to pull down the bird feeder to replenish it. Birds find enough to eat now without his help—though I miss the visitors to the feeder. Robins are gorging themselves on the service berry. But they are not in view from my windows. Below the clematis, our oldest son, Harvey, and his splendid wife, Sandy, are celebrating their 31st anniversary! How can that be?

Dear friends and family,

The blog is for me, as much as it is for you: I need to write things down to remember them. So given that a few days have passed, I have to admit that I don't remember a lot.

Laury and I finished (we think) with Measure for Measure. We urged the copy-editor to reinstate certain global features. One of her ideas was to offset lines that she thought completed other lines. We begin all lines, verse and prose, part or full lines, at the left margin. With a play like this one that mixes verse and prose so frequently, such lineation decisions are arbitrary at best. Paul Bertram, in his wonderful book (White spaces in Shakespeare: the development of the modern text, 1981), dealt off-setting so-called verse lines a blow that should have killed it. Anyway, it was an innovation by an editor named Steevens in 1793, who was simply trying to do something different from other editions, including his own. Well, you see I can fill up many lines of text by riding my favorite hobby horse.

From the Shakespeare Association of America Newsletter, I got the information that one of the members is leading a seminar on Q1 Hamlet at next spring's meeting. I immediately got in touch with him (wonders of SAA email lists) and told him about the work of our website on Q1. So now we have a back and forth communication going. Shakespeare continues to enliven my days.

Sylvia, my cousin from Brooklyn, came to visit on Wed. afternoon, and she and I took the Sycamore walk along Tappen Beach, a favorite haunt for dog walkers, runners, walkers, etc.—but not too many. The tide was ridiculously low, just the opposite of the day before when Sonia and I took the same walk just at the right time to catch a high tide, higher because of the full moon. She was amazed at the difference from the usual levels. I love seeing things through her eyes.

Sylvia is one of my favorite people, so it is a pleasure to have a peaceful hour or two with her. In another week she will come with three of her grandchildren, Ari and Monicas's children. Maybe Ari will come too. This whole family is very dear to me. But that will certainly be a less peaceful time.

Merwin, as you may recall, completed his radiation therapy on Wed., and is counting the hours for his energy to return. He now has several follow-up visits to see how it worked out. We both are cheerful and hopeful.

My triple dose of HU seems to be helping: no more pain from the spleen. I can work on either computer with no discomfort. Unfortunately, I missed Dr. K's call yesterday (we were out briefly to pick up some things Dave couldn't get), and she did not say what I should do. For the time being, I am staying on the triple dose.

We will be leaving for NYC soon, where we will be this weekend. I'll have more to write about when I return!

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment